August 23, 2020

In Case You Missed It (v50)

Last week's posts, at your fingertips.

Sunday School brought us, among other things, another enlightening classroom chat with Trump's 4th Chief of Staff (I can't help pointing that out every time I mention him), Mark Meadows, who talked with Jake Tapper on CNN's State of the Union. Here's a fun deflecting non-answer to a simple question - what's the difference between voting by mail in Florida and say, voting by mail in Pennsylvania: 
So, here's the difference. I can't tell you about Pennsylvania, because I don't know the difference there. All I do know is, the governor of Pennsylvania is talking like he doesn't have any money to pay for enhanced unemployment and some of these other things, when he's got $3.6 billion sitting in the bank. So that was - was a misnomer.
OK - the difference I can tell you is that (a) I know nothing about Pennsylvania, and (b) the governor's got money in the bank for his state, and (c) I'm gonna tell you what I want to tell you, and that's all the blahblahblah you see below. 
But, as we look at that, here's what I can tell you, is absentee no- excuse, what I call no-excuse absentee, say, listen, I'm concerned because of the pandemic, will you send me an absentee ballot that comes directly to me, I certify that, I have a signature requirement that makes sure that it's me that's actually voting, and I send it back...
I promised I'd give you multiple interviews with That Guy From Vermont, the one who finished second in the race for the Dem nod, for your Extra Credit. And I delivered, I hope you noticed.  Here's an excerpt from his chat with George on This Week, on TGFV's former press secretary complaining about "contempt for the base" in the party platform.
Well, I would say that the overwhelming majority of progressives understand that it is absolutely imperative that Donald Trump be defeated, that we have a president who is trying to undermine American democracy, a president who has turned his back on the working families of this country, a president who has done a horrible job in terms of the pandemic, does not believe in science, is not dealing with the existential threat of climate change... A lot of my supporters are not enthusiastic about Joe Biden, you know why? I ran against Joe Biden. But I think there is overwhelming understanding that Donald Trump must be defeated, Biden must be elected, and that the day after he is elected, we're going to do everything we can to create a government that works for all of us and not just the 1% and wealthy campaign contributors. 
I covered the #DemConvention by providing highlights from the speeches given each night.  Here's one from the opening night, where several Republicans spoke on the importance of electing Joe Biden, including former Ohio Governor John Kasich.
We can all see what’s going on in our country today and all the questions that are facing us, and no one person or a party has all the answers. Joe Biden is a man for our times, times that call for all of us to take off our partisan hats and put our nation first for ourselves, and of course for our children. When America chooses the right path and pulls together, like we’ve done so many times before. Yeah, we can dream big dreams and we can see the top of the mountain as a United States of America with a soul that is a beacon of freedom to the entire world. 
From the second night, which brought us some discussion on foreign policy. Among the speakers was former Secretary of State John Kerry.
Before Donald Trump, we used to talk about American exceptionalism. The only thing exceptional about the incoherent Trump foreign policy is that it has made our nation more isolated than ever before. Joe Biden knows we aren’t exceptional because we bluster that we are, we are exceptional because we do exceptional things. On June 6th, 1944, young Americans gave their lives and the beaches of Normandy to liberate the world from tyranny. Out of the ashes of that war we made peace and rebuilt the world. That was, and remains exceptional. It is the opposite of everything Donald Trump stands for. This moment is a fight for the security of America, and the world. Only Joe Biden can make America lead like America again. 
On the third night, some of the conversation focused on the existential threat of climate change. New Mexico's Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham was one of the featured speakers.
We know time is running out to save our planet. We have the chance this November to end two existential crises, the Trump presidency and the environmental annihilation he represents. We have the chance this November to attack the climate crisis, invest in green 21st century jobs and embrace the clean energy revolution our country, our young people are crying out for and the leadership the rest of the world is waiting for. The choice is clear. The choice is Joe Biden. 
On the last night, one of the speakers was Pulitzer Prize-winning author and presidential historian John Meacham, who spoke eloquently about our imperfect history, our challenges, and how we are all called to meet them.
From Jamestown forward, our story has become fuller and fairer because of people who share a conviction that Dr. King articulated on that Sunday half a century ago; the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice. Bending that arc requires all of us. It requires we, the people, and it requires a president of the United States with empathy, grace, a big heart and an open mind. Joe Biden will be such a president. With our voices and our votes, let us now write the next chapter of the American story; one of hope, of love, of justice. If we do so, we might just save our country and our souls.
In your  TGIF, I offered in full the nominees' acceptance speeches.  Here's an excerpt from each, starting with Kamala Harris, who spoke of her mother's influence.
I accept your nomination for vice president of the United States of America. I do so committed to the values she taught me, to the word that teaches me to walk by faith and not by sight, and to a vision passed on through generations of Americans one that Joe Biden shares. A vision of our nation as a beloved community, where all are welcome, no matter what we look like, no matter where we come from or who we love. A country where we may not agree on every detail, but we are United by the fundamental belief that every human being is of infinite worth, deserving of compassion, dignity, and respect. 
And, from Papa Joe, who wove together personal and professional anecdotes and influences with related policies in a way that was easy to follow, easy to understand, and easy to embrace. And that's exactly what he asked us to do - embrace the challenges, together.  This is not the most-quoted section of his speech; that was the part where he said he'd be an American president, not a Democratic president - but I like this part just as much.
In times as challenging as these, I believe there is only one way forward, as united America. A united America. United in our pursuit of a more perfect Union. United in our dreams of a better future for us and for our children. United in our determination to make the coming years bright.
Are we ready? I believe we are.  This is a great nation. And we are a good and decent people. For Lord's sake, this is the United States of America.  There's never been anything we've been unable to accomplish when we've done it together.
I think the reason why it resonates so much with me is because of the contrast between when Biden says this and when Trump say the same thing. You and I both know that, by all of his other words, and maybe more importantly by his blatant actions, Trump doesn't mean a word of it. Biden does.  

I closed out the week frustrated, again, by the emphasis placed on religion in our politics generally, and specifically the suggestion that Dems are without faith or and don't believe in religion. That led to an Irony Board addressing comments by Rev. Franklin Graham that God was missing from the convention. That's patently false, if you watched or if you read the remarks offered, or if you know anything about Joe Biden. But I guess truth doesn't matter when it comes to religion - is that the takeaway?

In his comments, Graham included the Ten Commandments for us to remember. And while I'm not religious, I remember those, and I remember - and share - the many ways the current president - and Graham favorite - ignores them. 

That's it -- your full and veritable pastiche from last week. I'll be back later with what's sure to be an entertaining Sunday School.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!