May 12, 2019

Sunday School 5/12/19

It was a family day, but I did take the time to check out one classroom - Jake Tapper's interview with California's Senator Kamala Harris, on CNN's State of the Union.

Here are some highlights of the interview, which was pre-taped.

On whether we're in a constitutional crisis, as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Congressman Jerry Nadler of the House Judiciary Committee have said:
I think we probably are... I think that we are seeing a breakdown of responsibilities...in the Senate, I am seeing up close here the - there is a failure to respect the significance of Congress' duty to perform a role of oversight over the administration, over the agencies. I'm seeing a failure to appreciate the importance of testifying before Congress in a way that is straightforward and truthful. So I think yes, I think is fair to say that we are looking at a crisis, not only of confidence but potentially a constitutional crisis, yes. 
On whether she disagrees with president Trump's premise that trade deals have been "too tilted" towards corporations and Wall Street and not tilted enough to helping the middle class:
...over many decades, the rules have been written in a way that have been to the exclusion of lifting up the middle class and working people in America and working families in America....that's why I'm proposing that...we reform the tax code in a way that we'll give middle-class working families making less than $100,000 a year a $6,000 tax credit they can receive it up to $500 a month.  
On whether she would have voted for NAFTA:
I would not have voted for NAFTA, because I believe that we can do a better job to protect American workers...
On whether she's support a federal gun license, an idea of Senator Cory Booker's:
I like the idea. But you know, Jake...on this issue of the need for gun safety laws, we're not at any loss for good ideas. People have been having good ideas for decades on this issue. What we're at a loss for is people in Congress to have the courage to do something.
On Medicare for All and getting rid of private insurance:
I support Medicare for All, it is my preferred policy... It doesn't get rid of supplemental insurance, it doesn't get rid of all insurance...Medicare for All and the vision of what it will be includes an expansion of coverage. So Medicare for All will include vision. It will include dental. It will include hearing aids.
I completely agree with those members of organized labor who have negotiated for plans and have, in those negotiation processes - often given what could have been higher wages in exchange for a higher coverage for health care....It's a legitimate concern which must be addressed.  
On whether she supports giving universal health care and Medicare for All to people who are in this country illegally:
Let me just be very clear about this. I'm opposed to any policy that would deny in our country any human being from access to public safety, public education, or public health, period.
On whether Facebook should be broken up:
Yes, I think we have to seriously take a look at that, yes. When you look at the issue, they're essentially a utility...there are very few people that can actually get by and be involved in their communities or society or in whatever their profession without somehow, somewhere using Facebook...It is essentially a utility that has gone unregulated. And as far as I'm concerned, that's got to stop.
And finally, on the issue of electability:
...I will tell you that the voters, in my experience, are smarter than a lot of folks give them credit for... And as far as I'm concerned, my track record on this issue tells me the voters are smarter than hearing and listening to all that noise. What they want is, they want somebody who has a genuine interest in representing them, as opposed to self-interest. 
See you around campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!