December 7, 2017

Reactions to the Franken Statement

Here's what Al Franken said, among other things, in his announcement today that he will be resigning:
I of all people am aware that there is some irony in the fact that I am leaving while a man who bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office, and a man who has repeatedly preyed on young girls campaigns for the Senate with the full support of his party.
(I wondered about that yesterday.)

Here are a few reactions from Fox News:
Franken should not have resigned. His fate should have been left 2the people of MN. Moore, who has sexual contact w a 14-yr old, should drop out. Conyers, who hit on his employees, should have resigned. Franken is a creep who acted inappropriately, but his facts are different. ~ Ari Fleischer, former White House Press Secretary
We have a president who acknowledged on tape that he assaulted women. I would hope that he pays attention to what's going on and think about resigning. ~Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) 
The NRSC is confident Republicans will be able to win this soon-to-be vacant Senate seat come November, and look forward to expanding our Senate Majority. ~ National Republican Senatorial Committee spokesman Michael McAdams 
If @alfranken is going to resign tomorrow, I think he should to it on the condition that there are congressional hearings about @realDonaldTrump 's sexual misconduct allegations. ~ Maggie Gyllenhaal 
And here is Sarah Sanders, current White House press secretary, responding to questions today.
Look, the president addressed the comments back during the campaign. We feel strongly that the people of this country also addressed that when they elected Donald Trump to be president. And I've addressed it several times from here and don't have anything new to add. (when asked about Franken's comment on Trump and Moore)
I mean, I think the president treats -- certainly, as a woman myself, I've never felt anything but treated with the highest level of respect and been empowered to do my job. And I think that's what I've seen the president do, day in and day out, since we've been here and during the campaign. And I think that's a pretty good start and pretty good example on that front. (in response to the question, "In, again, a broad, 30,000-foot way, does the president believe that he has a credible role in leading this conversation?")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!