March 4, 2021

Quick Takes (v58): Why is This So Hard?

I often chuckle at how the concept of 'unity' is being interpreted by politicians, and how it seems the only thing that unites them these days is their dismay that 'everyone else' isn't going along with their definition of the word. 

On the right hand, the Rs seem to think unity means doing whatever they want, even though they're now the minority in both the House and the Senate, and they lost the White House.

On the left hand, the progressive Ds seem to think it means doing whatever they want, even though their candidate (not a Dem, you remember) lost to a more moderate choice.

In the middle of it all? People like me. The moderates, the fiscally conservative, socially liberal (FCSL) folks, wondering why the two parties seem hell-bent on getting everything they want, and only everything they want, no matter what. We want them to unite in our best interests, while they seem to only care about 'winning,' whatever that means. 

If macaques can figure out how to negotiate, why can't the humans we send to DC? Seriously. Take a look


I would never compare our elected officials to monkeys - someone got in trouble for doing that recently, I think. And I certainly wouldn't compare macaques to people - I'm sure someone would yell at me for that.

I'm just saying, if monkeys can learn to negotiate with people, can't we get our elected representatives to negotiate with each other? Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!