August 29, 2019

Quick Takes (v41): Who Loves Me, Baby?

Quick Takes
I mentioned in yesterday's post, in the wondering about who might be joining my junior senator Kirsten Gillibrand in dropping out of the 2020 presidential race, that there were only going to be ten people on the stage for the next Democratic debate.

Nine of them are Democrats, and the tenth of course is Bernie Sanders, who is the key reason why I changed my voter registration from Democrat to 'no party' earlier this year. Of course, that won't take effect here in NY until after the 2020 vote, so officially I still am a Dem.

Whether it's because I'm still a Democrat as far as record-keeping goes, or because I had previously made a donation and I'm still in the DNC database, or because I'm just plain lucky, I get emails from Joe Biden. Lots of emails from Joe Biden.

I'd go so far as to say Joe Biden literally a ton of emails from Joe Biden. This week (so far), I think I've gotten ten or eleven.

And this is even after I've twice discouraged him from running for president - in 2015 and again this year.

For some reason,  I don't hear from any of the other candidates - not Warren, not Harris, not Booker, not Buttigieg; not Klobuchar, not Castro, not Beto, not Yang, and not Sanders.  Which seems downright weird to me. Don't the all have access to the same database? I thought that was all taken care of last time around, when the non-Dem wanted access and it was given to him.

And, I never heard from Bill de Blasio, or Kirsten Gillibrand (even though they're both New Yorkers, as am I, and as noted above, Gillibrand is my senator). Or any of the rest of them for that matter.

So: now that the field has been cut in half, at least for a couple of weeks, and in the interest of trying to get a sense of how aggressive (desperate?) the other candidates are relative to Biden, I signed up on all of their websites today, using one of my alternate emails. I'm going to unsubscribe to Biden emails under my primary account (which would be the one on file from the Obama donation I made) and see how things go.

I can tell you that it took me 12 minutes to locate all of their official websites, enter my email address and zip code and become a 'supporter' of each of the ten. And so far, 45 minutes later, I've only gotten 'thanks for signing up' messages from three campaigns: Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, and yep - you guessed it, Joe Biden.

I'll keep track of things and keep you updated on who really wants my vote - or, more likely, who really wants my money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!