November 2, 2018

TGIF 11/2/18

Regular readers may have noticed a dearth of posts lately. For that -  and my hopeless writer's block - I apologize. Actually, I hope I still have some regular readers, to be honest, but I digress.

What's been causing my block, you ask?  This - or maybe 'these' is the better word: the election, the ads, the money, the voter suppression; the president and his rallies and his tweets;the shootings, the pipe bombs, the racism, the hatred; false equivalence without challenge over and over and over; tribalism and labels

There's probably more -- there's always more, right? But those bullets there on the page have tormented me. Not because I don't have thoughts on all of that - I have thoughts in spades. No, the torment is tied to articulating those thoughts. How does one talk about  these things, these divisive and sometimes horrible things, without adding to the divisiveness?

And to what point does one talk about it, anyway?

We're told, over and over, that putting thoughts into words into keystrokes into posts is a somewhat futile effort; if I had a nickel for every time someone said (a) "no one is going to change their minds because of a blog post" or (b) "I'm totally ignoring anything having to do with politics" or (c) "I'm so sick of this I'm not even going to vote!" I could retire much more comfortably in two months and I wouldn't worry so much about that articulation thing.

And truth be told, if I had even a penny for every time I've sat down to write and instead looked at pretty pictures, kitten videos, or moody black and white images on Instagram, I'd be a one-percenter by now, I'm sure. I'd be hauling in my fair share of everything just like the rest of them do.

But those comments, that abc stuff up there, is monumentally frustrating, and my own delaying and distracting tactics infuriate me.

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.

I'm going to post until I'm blue in the face, and I don't care. I'm going to rant and rave, and I don't care.

I'm going to rail against things I think are wrong, even if that means complaining about the president and what he's doing to America, and I don't care.

I'm going to cheer things that I think are right, and celebrate things that make me happy, and applaud things that bring joy, and I don't care whether anyone changes their mind or not.

It's a new month.  This writer's block nonsense is for the birds.

TGIF -- and I'll be back tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!