October 8, 2016

Riddle Me This on Trump's Apology

Donald Trump "apologized" again, this time on video, for his comments about sexually abusing women via grabbing them in their nether regions and forcibly kissing them, which he could do because he's a star.
I'm not sure whether his apology was meant to include complaining about women who reject him and then allegedly go out and purchase plastic boobs, he wasn't all that clear on that part.
I've never said I'm a perfect person nor pretended to be someone that I'm not. I've said and done things I regret and the words released today, on this more than a decade old video, are one of them. Anyone who knows me knows these words don't reflect who I am. I said it, I was wrong, and I apologize.
Note that Trump was alleged to have been involved in a sexual abuse situation with an underaged woman; he has made downright creepy comments about his own daughter, there were allegations of forced sex in his marriages, his own appearances in Playboy videos, and his allegedly trying to force his wife and maybe an employee to do a nude shoot for Playboy, and of course his comments about women, their looks, their intelligence, and the rest, are part of the public record which seems to grow on an almost daily basis

While it's certainly possible for some of these allegations, which pre-date the 2005 conversation the newly married Trump had with Billy Bush of Access Hollywood to be false, it's also equally possible some of them may be true, in which case it would not seem true that the words "don't reflect" who he is.


But then, nothing says I apologize than deflecting from the apology with your campaign speil.

I have traveled the country talking about change for America, but my travels have also changed me. I've spent time with grieving mothers who've lost their children, laid-off workers whose jobs have gone to other countries, and people from all walks of life who just want a better future. I have gotten to know the great people of our country and I've been humbled by the faith they've placed in me.
And of course, I've made an ass out of myself attacking a Gold Star family, including the grieving mother  -- for days, he did that, in case anyone has forgotten.
I pledge to be a better man tomorrow, and will never, ever let you down.
Um, that horse is so far out of the barn it might as well be Secretariat in the Belmont. Or Forrest Gump, running, running, running, running...
Let's be honest, we're living in the real world. This is nothing more than a distraction from the important issues we're facing today.
We're losing our jobs, we are less safe than we were eight years ago and Washington is totally broken. Hillary Clinton and her kind have run our country into the ground. I've sad some foolish things but there's a big difference between the words and actions of other people. Bill Clinton has actually abused women, and Hillary has bullied, attacked, shamed and intimidated his victims.  We will discuss this more in the coming days.
See you at the debate on Sunday. 
Wow. 

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow, you're always a day away.  Which is when I can start being a better man.


I pledge to be a better man tomorrow, starting with the debate, where it seems I'm going to talk about this no matter what. I pledge to be a better man starting tomorrow, but first I'm promising to be a worse man.


I pledge to be a better man starting tomorrow, because you all know I showed remarkable restraint in not talking about my opponent's husband and his picadillos in the Oval Office, or about how my opponent reacted to all of that, because that's a true measure of how I'm going to lead the country.


I pledge to be a better man, by focusing even more attention on this thing, this "nothing more than a distraction for the important issues we're facing today" because while I've already proven that I can be distracted for days and focus my attention on things that are completely inconsequential, you all need to be reminded of my childlike attention span. We need that in a president, you know, that stamina to deal with all of the things I'll be facing that I'll ignore while I focus on this distracting stuff. 


Riddle me this, people: I'm not religious, but even with my limited understanding of sinning and confession -- which, I must point out, I was re-educated on just yesterday on a Facebook post that sinners confess and everything's OK then --  but I think there's maybe more to it than that? 


I would think that there would be some kind of requirement that there was honesty, sincerity, and real thought and feeling behind the confession or apology, and I'm sure as hell not seeing anything like that here, are you?


Apologize by saying that other people are worse? I'm pretty sure when I was a kid, that didn't pass muster with my parents.  Although, I guess that must be different now, "let's be honest. We're living in the real world" where a half-hearted apology is all it takes? 


Come on. Just come on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!