June 3, 2017

Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me (v1)


Poor poor pitiful me Poor poor pitiful me
Oh these boys won't let me be
Lord, have mercy on me
Woe, woe is me.


Oh, Kathy Griffin, you poor thing you. Linda Ronstadt understands, she does.

I know you spend your time on the D-list, but does that mean you're living under a rock? Had you no idea that your highly offensive "comedic" video, you slowly raising your arm to gradually display a bloody, severed Donald Trump head, would bring consequences?

Did you really think that Trump himself, the victim of your prank, would be appreciative? Did you not know that the Tweeter in Chief, his family, staff, friends and supporters would rain down 140-character responses upon your (still attached) head?

And did you really not know that companies fire, suspend and stop sponsoring people all the time for even unofficial acts? Ask Juan Williams, Paula Deen, the Duck Dude, Helen Thomas, and others; there are plenty of examples out there.

I don't like the president or anything he stands for, and I don't like your video or think it was funny. I thought it was disgusting and pointless, to be honest, and I thought that it did much more harm than good to any message you might have been trying to send. (And not for nothing, but that little comment in the video about having to move to Mexico - sorta makes it seem you were prepared for the backlash that occurred even as you prepared to post the 'head shot.')

I thought your apology was over the top, and I doubted its sincerity (that's just me being cynical, I guess). Frankly, if you felt the need to apologize, it seems you don't even have the courage of your comedy -- but you expect your employers, sponsors, and co-workers to have courage on your behalf?

What to do? Hire a lawyer, schedule a press conference and complain that you're being attacked by our notoriously thin-skinned president!
A sitting president of the United States and his grown children and the first lady are personally trying to ruin my life forever. You guys know him, he's not going to stop.
You're right. The lashing out is not going to stop, whether it's directly from the president and his family, or from his supporters who respond immediately to any real or perceived slight of their leader.  Just as, you will recall, the lashing out against Trump, his business, his children and their businesses, is not going to stop.

Lashing out doesn't have a political bent - it only takes enthusiasm and a keyboard. That is the world we live in, and as a comic, you should know that. It's really just heckling taken to a higher level, isn't it?

You noted in your press conference that you had been bullied, both as a child and as an adult. If that's true, you should have intuitively understood that any parent would have responded quickly and harshly on behalf of their child at what you did. I've read that you took some stabs at Sarah Palin's children, and got a Mama Bear response from her when you did, so you appear to have some experience upsetting parents and facing a backlash.

In  your press conference, you noted
I'm not good at being appropriate. I'm only good at doing comedy one way. It's in your face. I'm going to make fun of the president. And I'm going to do it more now.
To that, I say go for it -- if that's what you do, then boldly go there. Own your shtick.  Don't apologize for it.

And don't expect me to apologize or make excuses for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!